Day 60:

Date: May 31, 2015
Progress: 24.6 miles - North Fork Feather River (mi 1344.8) to tentsite (mi 1369.4)

Today Chewie and Backtrack left the river to start hiking early, at about 6:30 am. I slept in later even than normal. (It tends to be my modus operandi to get up late and hike fast to catch up.) I didn't take off from the river until around 10 am.

I realized partway through the hike that I hadn't really discussed a mileage goal with Chewie and Backtrack, and I didn't know how far they were going to go. I didn't see a soul all day, and it was 6:30 pm when I ate dinner at a tentsite around mile 1365. Chewie and Backtrack weren't around, so I figured I would push on the next 5 and a half miles to another tentsite just before the border of Lassen National Park and call it a night, hoping that that was where they had decided to stop hiking.

Those 5.5 miles appeared to be easy on the elevation profile, so I thought I could band them out quickly. I was wrong. Despite being flat terrain, there were hundreds of downed trees that made it the most miserable stretch of trail that I've seen so far. I got to the tentsite around 8:40 pm, exhausted, cranky, and bitter at the blowdown. I'm camped alone, other than the bear that I saw about a mile back. I ought to see Chewie and Backtrack tomorrow morning in Old Station.


No comments:

Post a Comment