Day 17:

Date: April 18, 2015
Progress: 19.6 miles - tentsite @ Van Dusen Canyon Rd. (mi 275.0) to Bench Camp (mi 294.6)

Today I woke up and avoided the cold for a while by staying in my sleeping bag. I knew I had just under 20 miles to cover today and that they weren't super difficult, so I didn't need to hurry out of camp.

At about 9:20, I said goodbye to Tucker who was jumping ahead to see some friends who were driving from LA to visit him. At 9:35 I finally got to hiking, a long time behind two other hikers who had left at 6:30 but were doing the same miles as I was. 

During my lunch break at a dirt road crossing and a stream, I was eating some herb and garlic tuna when about 12 different Subarus rolled up at once. A girl came up to me and offered water, saying that helping out a PCT hiker was on her bucket list. The group was "just a bunch of Subaru guys and Subaru girls going for a cruise in the dirt." They took off hurtling down the dirt road which ran next to the PCT for a few miles as fast as they'd arrived. 

I had hiked quickly and made it to camp just after 5 pm. I had some yummy instant mashed potatoes and a snickers bar for dinner. 



No comments:

Post a Comment